Members then drove south toward the Solent, turning right just before Calshot to find the Cadland estate.
Cadland Gardens consist of about 27 acres which were originally landscaped by Capability Brown. MPG member, Gilly Drummond warmly welcomed everyone to the Gardens and the veranda of Cadland House, which provided a magnificent view over the Solent to the Isle of Wight. Gilly explained how the Drummond family came to this place almost 250 years ago and how the foreshore below the house was believed to be where Cerdic, the first king of Saxon Wessex, landed in about 495 AD.
The Drummond family is thought to have originated in Scotland in the 11th century from amongst noblemen accompanying Edgar Aetheling, the last of Cerdic’s line, who took refuge in Scotland after the Norman conquest. The Drummonds were members of the Scottish aristocracy and prominent Jacobites until 1746, when William, Viscount Strathallen died at Culloden. However, his sons, Robert and Henry, joined their uncle Andrew in London, who, in 1717, had founded Drummonds Bank. The bank was highly successful and, in 1772, Robert acquired the manor of Cadland, near Fawley, and invited Henry Holland to build a new house and Capability Brown to landscape the gardens.