Alison Green a retired garden designer, owner and creator of the garden welcomed us to Theobalds on a beautiful sunny July day.
She explained the house was built in the early 1650’s, the land and house were part of the Royal Theobalds estate and sold off by parliament after the civil war to help pay the army. Captain Anthony Spinage bought the land and house. The current house is early Georgian, and the Green family have lived here since 1999. Work on the 2-acre site began immediately upon the blank canvas of grass, wilderness and boggy ground. The soil is heavy clay with clay pans, a challenging site.
Alison designed the garden as a series of rooms in the ‘Arts and Crafts’ tradition with many large borders and different planting styles. She has included landform features with the golden section spiral grass bank and Betula utilis var.jacquemontii ‘Grayswood Ghost’ and used hedging and water as landscaping tools to great effect. The planting is successional. A great deal of effort goes into keeping the borders looking good throughout the year. The garden is a series of colour filled rooms, each with its own personality and ideas. Many of the areas are also colour themed.