In recent years the present head gardener, Phill Nelson, and his small team have begun a substantial restoration including of the lower rose garden which has been renewed with new hedging and shrub roses. As we climbed from there higher up the hillside, the rock garden came into view. Created in the late 1920s by stripping away much of the topsoil, the upper garden is known for trilliums, hostas, ferns and a number of large, mature trees. Arum lilies grow in the damper spots where natural springs run down through the garden. Much of the ground cover is self-seeded and is regularly thinned and managed, however steep the angle.
Descending again we reached the hall, extended in the 1920s, and the terraces below added in 1927 with stupendous views across the valley onto the borrowed landscape of Wharfedale and Simon’s Seat and the lower garden that gently slopes away from the house. The walls of the terrace provide a wonderful backdrop to the likes of Argyrocytisus battandieri (Moroccan broom).